Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Cool Notes!


One night last summer in L.A. I finally made it to mecca. My mecca was reaching a place called Carbon on Monday night hosted by none other than Dam-Funk. 'Funkmoshpere' had it all. Lockers, poppers and the most serious devotion to obscure and rare funk, modern, electro, italo and boogie I had yet to see. All of the elements that I myself had been delving into and researching were here. I was truly in heaven. Not to mention the complete warmth of all involved. Within minutes of meeting Dam he was on the mike announcing my arrival. Well, I had indeed arrived. After seeing him playing Messages from the Stars, and Danger Zone on youtube videos, I knew I had to check it out. You see I had been rocking these same tunes in my house, having no idea that they were being received anywhere, it was truly nice to see them getting exposure.


So, after that first magical night, and a summer filled with more magical nights at 'Funkmoshpere' I went back to my research. 
That first humid night at Dam's 'Funkmoshpere' I went home to a girlfriends small studio apartment and dug deep on the internet all night long. Yes, I dug there too. Had to go there didn't we. Somewhere around sunrise I stumbled upon The Cool Notes.
The Cool Notes have killer harmonies and a production sound that would make Dr. Dre jealous. They were the British version of New Edition and totally appealing in a pop group sense while commanding excellent 80's boogie grooves as well. 
Here's "You're never too young" which tops even the Mary Jane Girls, "I Don't Wanna Stop" another party rocking blister, and "My Love is Hot" the extreme smoker of the bunch and my current theme song.
Enjoy.

The Funkmoshpere Promo Video

and Introducing..  The Cool Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment