Saturday, July 11, 2009

Jan Hammer - Don't You Know


OK, so after an enormous hiatus I'm back. And, it feels great. Boy have I missed it too. But, day after day getting up at 7am and getting home at 8pm, 9pm, or 11pm there was no time for bloggin'. Putting food on my plate comes first and my 'busy season' will also afford me some tasty treats to share with you all in upcoming posts. So, where was I? Oh yeah, Miami Vice. I used to sit completely puzzled by my pops while he watched that show. But, now years later, I'm actually a Micheal Mann fan as well. But, this was LONG, long before any of that. Our boy Jan (and you can say it like "Yon") was riding the beautiful crest of fusion that was hugely popular at the time. You name it, Chick Corea, Spyro Gyra, Stanley Jordan, and Jeff Beck were all weighing in and cashing in on the new jazz craze, shredding as many notes into a song as humanly possible. 'Melodies' may have been a milestone in the process and certainly is a iconic piece in the fusion story. But, when I first scanned over this LP, I found this head nodding, spaced out master piece, and it sent me searching for more like it. Like I said in the previous post it was an example of more spaced out future funk to come. Well, thank goodness, I was right. It's got just the right amount of hippie vibe to lure me in as well. Well, it's good to be back.. and, by the amount of stuff I'm gonna put up (I'm gonna attempt to make up for lost time) I ask you this question.."Don't You Know? ...That I love you?"

Jan Hammer - Don't You Know

1 comment: