Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Gospel Miracles - Building Up Myself

Gospel Boogie. I'm finding more and more these days. It's a natural progression for stubborn boogie heads like myself. Gospel music is like the second chapter of American Rhythm, Blues and Soul History. It's there whenever you're ready for it. Just like Jesus. Ok, I'll stop there.
It's often under exposed and rarely heard about except within it's own circuits. It's artists are seemingly unknown to most, yet cherished by true soul collectors. It's a largely unheralded music, especially in the pop world, and only survives on the radio one day a week. I have a more intimate experience with gospel. I picked up, or found several records by Myrna Summer, James Cleveland, Violinaires, Rance Allen and a few others. Flipped through them, listened, found a few with slower funkier grooves, and stuffed them all away. Yet, I was to re-visit them again. Long ago I went through a heartbreak, and I sat alone in my apartment completely surrounded by records. I was busted, sad as hell, and lonely. All I had was my chunes and they couldn't give me a hug or comfort me. Who was there for me? No one really. Aside from a great friend or two, I was dealing on my own. But, I remember clear as day how gospel records saved my ass. I threw on that James Cleveland and my salvation began. I was deep into it. I connected with the deep down and sorrowful tones and was inspired by the hopefulness and positivity. That James Cleveland LP and a magical few others earned a special place in my collection.
So, as a result I've always been open to and questing for more great gospel records. I tend to rifle through the gospel sections as importantly as I do the soul sections. But, it's rare that there is a section at all, even rarer when there's anything in it. Got this Gospel Miracles LP "Down through The Years...The Lord Has Been Good To Me" and enjoyed it. Long title eh? This tune "Building Up Myself" is a smooth one. Played it on Sunday at Sweaterfunk and wanted to spread the word even further. Hallelujah!

The Gospel Miracles - Building Up Myself

No comments:

Post a Comment